Karri sent enough fabric to make a 4x4 block, but the instructions call for a 5x5 block. I think she's currently finishing up a semester, so I'm going to cut her some slack on that. Once I added a few more 5" squares to the mix in my assigned color of red, I was ready to go. Improv piecing the star points was pretty fun, but if I make this quilt for myself, I'll probably end up making perfectly symmetrical star points. I just like order in my life, it's a flaw, but one I'm willing to deal with.
I made the points first, then put together the nine patch around the star, and then added on the outside rows and columns, one "layer" at a time. That seemed to work pretty well and I like to think that my points are fairly accurate.
I'm really quite happy with how it turned out. And the other pictures I see popping up in our Flickr group are equally amazing.