Wednesday, May 29, 2013

May 2013 Block

I have been oohing and aahing over this quilt pattern for some time. It's been on my "must make list" once I have more scraps to work from. However, instead of having three different shade of blue (aqua, light blue and dark blue), and two shades of orange, I think I'll have to add in a grey block, and maybe even a brown, white, and/or black block as well. In my book it's all about the color spectrum, not just the rainbow.

Karri sent enough fabric to make a 4x4 block, but the instructions call for a 5x5 block. I think she's currently finishing up a semester, so I'm going to cut her some slack on that. Once I added a few more 5" squares to the mix in my assigned color of red, I was ready to go. Improv piecing the star points was pretty fun, but if I make this quilt for myself, I'll probably end up making perfectly symmetrical star points. I just like order in my life, it's a flaw, but one I'm willing to deal with.

I made the points first, then put together the nine patch around the star, and then added on the outside rows and columns, one "layer" at a time. That seemed to work pretty well and I like to think that my points are fairly accurate.

I'm really quite happy with how it turned out. And the other pictures I see popping up in our Flickr group are equally amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment